RFC - 140
NIC - 6725
Steve Crocker
4 May 71



    The NWG meeting will be from 8 p.m., Sunday, May 16 through
Wednesday evening May 19.  All meetings except Sunday night will take
place in the Wicker Room of the Dennis Hotel.  The Sunday even- ing
meeting will take place in the Royal Box Room of the Dennis Hotel.
Evening meetings will start at 8 p.m.  Afternoon meetings at 1:30 p.m.
and morning meetings at 9 a.m.  We will meet Sunday evening, all day
Monday (three sessions), Tuesday morning and evening and Wednesday
evening.  At times when we are not meeting you are invited to use the
Wicker Room for private meetings or whatever.  It is reserved thru
Thursday afternoon.

Below are the topics to be discussed in each meeting and the list

of relevant RFC numbers which should be read prior to coming.

TIME: Sunday evening

TITLE: Short Reports (RFC's 113, 131, 134)

Each host will give a very short -- five minutes or less -- report on their state of development, including hardware, NCP and Telnet and including any applications in progress or planned. In addition, the committees will summarize their progress and new sites will introduce themselves. More extended committee reports and discussions will take place later.

TIME: Monday morning
TITLE: NIC and Telnet                        (RFC's 103, 106, 112, 109,
                                              110, 115, 118, 137, 139)

At 9:00 a.m. Dick Watson will talk about the status, plans and policies

of the NIC.

At 10:00 a.m. Tom O'Sullivan will present the Telnet committee's

proposed protocol and lead a discussion concerning it.

TIME: Monday afternoon
TITLE: File Transfer, TIP, Network Planning   (RFC's 114, 122, 133, 136)

       and other ARPA Projects

2) BBN representatives will talk about the TIP, including

specifications, delivery schedules, prices and protocols.

3) Bob Kahn and Larry Roberts will talk about several aspects of the Network management and the long-range network planning. This will be an opportunity for questions on who will manage the Network, how it will grow and what sites will come on to be directly addressed to Larry.

4) Some other projects are in progress which affect many of the ARPA sites and are not centered in any particular site. These include efforts to produce a list-processing system and a speech understanding system.

TIME: Monday evening

TITLE: Operating Systems and Networks

The protocols being developed in the Network Working Group are similar to interprocesses communication facilities within operating systems. It is not fully understood how these protocols should be built, and what the tradeoffs are for alternatives; the same can be said for interprocess communication facilities in operating systems. From time to time it is suggested that there would be some payoff in studying these matters from an academic point of view, not quite so tied to the pressure of producing a particular system.

Professor Art J. Bernstein of SUNY Stonybrook writes:

"The problem of designing an operating system for a computer which is to be imbedded in a network has received little attention. In addition to providing those capabilities one normally expects from an advanced multi-programmed system such as file sharing, inter- process communication and a hierarchical process structure, such a system should be structured so that, as nearly as possible, a user process is ig- norant of the actual location in the network of the files and processes with which it is interacting."

He is building an operating system for a PDP-15 based on this philosophy and will come to make a short presentation on his system, after which we will discuss how to organize interaction among various academic efforts, including those not within the ARPA community.

At 9:00 a.m. John Heafner of RAND will meet with his committee and discuss some of the open issues regarding the proposed data reconfiguration service. This meeting is open to other interested parties.

At 10:00 a.m. Arie Shoshani of SDC will chair a meeting on data sharing

on computer networks. He writes:

"The main purpose of the meeting is to discuss the subject of sharing data on Computer Networks. First, an intro- ductory paper will be presented which will attempt to classify the issues involved, discuss some approaches that one can take to achieve data sharing and to point out some ad- vantages and disadvantages of these approaches. Then, an open discussion will be conducted. As a result, recommenda- tions will be attempted as to what approach is best for the ARPA-Network, and possibly set up a commitee of interested people to further investigate the problems. It is expected that participants will be prepared to discuss briefly data management system they have or plan to have on the ARPA network."

Peggy Karp of MITRE will attend and talk about the data management

system she is building to use facilities at BBN and UCSB.

TIME: Tuesday evening
TITLE: Remaining Technical Matters        (RFC's 107, 117, 123, 124, 127
                                           128, 129 and 132)

The issues scheduled for this meeting are discussions of the socket numbers, procedures for testing NCP's and Telnets, discussion of ways to experiment with protocol, the initial connection protocol and remaining glitches in the second level protocol.

TIME: Wednesday evening

TITLE: Non-Technical Matters (RFC 113)

[ This RFC was put into machine readable form for entry ]

[ into the online RFC archives by Gert Doering 4/97 ]